HIGHER EDUCATION COURSES
Study your bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate in one of the 41 universities in the country. Courses generally start in February or July depending on the institution.
The duration of the programs can be semi-annual or quarterly, depending on the institution as well. PhD students can negotiate the start date on some occasions with their research supervisors.
All these programs can be taught by universities or TAFEs (vocational education), however, they are standardized so you will see the same content and perform usually the same tasks no matter where you study.
The university courses available in Australia are the following:
- Diplomas (1-2 years)
- Bachelor’s degree (bachelor’s degree) minimum 3 years
- Bachelor degree with honors (bachelor with the last year of research) 4 years
- Graduate Certificate (6 months)
- Graduate Diploma (12 months)
- Masters degree (1- 2 years)
- Masters degree research (1-2 years)
- Doctoral degree (usually 3-4 years)
REQUIREMENTS AND COSTS FOR VET PROGRAMS
English requirements: All university courses have an English requirement which may vary from institution to institution. If you do not meet the requirement, you can take classes in the language center of your university or look for an external English school that offers a valid articulation with your university.
Academic requirements: All institutions have different requirements depending on the program but the most common are:
- Accreditation of Year 12 (high school) in Australia or the equivalent in your country (high school) for diplomas and bachelors. Some programs also request portfolios and propaedeutic courses or certificates.
- Have a bachelor’s degree (bachelor’s or engineering degree) in Australia or in your country for graduate programs, master’s degrees and doctorates; in addition to work experience in most cases.
The costs of an academic university program in Australia vary greatly depending on the quality of the school, the duration and the city you choose. As an example, a bachelor in Australia can cost $ 20,000AUD per year on average.
Advantages of studying a higher education program in Australia
- You will study in one of the most multicultural environments on the planet, developing skills to deal with people regardless of their nationality or cultural background.
- These programs are standardised nationally, so all students learn the same content.
- If you do not have the level of English necessary to start, you can take classes in the language prior to your course or take a vocational course to immerse yourself in the language and gain experience before your university course.
- Australia is well known for its contributions to research and science, so its universities invest large funds into scientific development.
- Australian universities have a focus on the development of creativity and practicality, which is why they promote the participation of their students in the industry.