The cost of living in Australia is high, especially for those of us who come from non-dollarized countries. This makes many students need to protect their savings with a part-time job, which is allowed in Australia if you have a student visa.

If you have a student visa, you can work once you start your course (NOT before), for up to 40 hours per fortnight and full-time during vacations.

The minimum wage in Australia is $18.80 AUD per hour, so if you manage to work 40 hours per fortnight, you will be having an income of approximately $752 AUD a fortnight (you have to take taxes off).

We, by no means, recommend that you come thinking that you will make ends meet only with what you earn from working. It is necessary that you come with sufficient funds since nobody knows how long it will take you to get your first job, or if you are going to have emergencies or if you will have to do something not planned, like buying a new cell phone if you drop yours and stops working . The student work permit must be considered as an AID to recover part of your investment and you can enjoy life in Australia, it is not meant to be your main income.

To work in Australia you need to have your Tax File Number (TFN) ready which is obtained online and arrives at your Australian address in approximately 28 business days. This number is your taxpayer record and your employer will take taxes from your salary to pay them in your name during the Tax Return.

Each year, in June, the Australian tax year closes, so everyone, absolutely everyone who works, must present a declaration, even if you have not worked and you only have a bank account in Australia.

The process of the Tax Return is very easy since you only need your payroll summary that your employer gives you in June and have receipts for things that you have bought related to your work to be able to deduct them.

If you are lucky, they can return taxes, for example if your salary in the fiscal year was less than $ 18,000 AUD (July to June).

International students can apply to a large number of job options and gain experience and language proficiency to keep applying to more professional positions.

These are some of the options that you can consider when you arrive in Australia to improve your communication and earn some money.

  • Receptionists
  • Cleaning / Cleaning
  • Food delivery
  • Advertising distributors
  • Waiters (requires certifications)
  • Baristas
  • Kitchen assistants
  • Cooks
  • Tour guides
  • Shop assistants (retail)
  • Jobs in large-scale events
  • Labourer / Construction (requires certifications)
  • Baby sitting (babysitters – requires certifications)
  • Bartenders
  • Carriers / Removals
  • Gardener
  • Dog walker

If your employer is not paying you what the law says or you are a victim of abuse, we can advise you on the process to reach a beneficial solution for your case before government agencies such as Fair Work Australia.

Do you want to receive our work tips, blogs to improve your employment and receive job offers for students in your mail? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter! 


Agendar Cita